What Is Robotic Process Automation?
Robotic Process Automation saves time and human efforts to a major extent.
It is a time saver and a cost-effective one too. Important features of robotic process automation include platform independence, scalability, and intelligence.
Every RPA system must include the three capabilities stated below:
- Communicating with the other systems in either way screen scrapping or API integration.
- Decision making
- Interface for bot programming.
It is not mandatory to have programming skills for using RPA Tools. Small, Medium as well s large-scale organizations can use RPA tools, but these organizations should be able to depend on the software heavily.
Types of Robotic Process Automation
Given below are the various types of RPA:
- Attended automation: These tools will require human intervention while performing automation processes.
- Unattended automation: These tools are intelligent and have decision-making capabilities.
- Hybrid RPA: These tools will have combined capabilities of both attended and unattended automation tools.
Industries using RPS:
Robotic process automation is mainly used in Banking, Insurance, Retail, Manufacturing, Healthcare, and Telecommunication industries.
- Healthcare: In the healthcare industry, it will help in appointments, patient’s data entry, claims to process, billing, etc.
- Retail: For the retail industry, it helps in updating orders, sending notifications, shipping products, tracking shipments, etc.
- Telecommunications: For the telecommunications industry, it will help in monitoring, fraud data management and updating the customer data.
- Banking: Banking industry use RPA for more efficiency in work, for accuracy in data, and for the security of data.
- Insurance: Insurance companies use RPA for managing the work processes, entering customer’s data, and for applications.
- Manufacturing: For the manufacturing industry, RPA tools help in supply chain procedures. It helps with the billing of materials, Administration, Customer services & support, Reporting, Data migration, etc.
How Is It Different From A Desktop Application?
Both Desktop applications, as well as RPA, perform multiple tasks.
But how are these two different?
The difference will be identified when it comes to decision making capability.
RPA helps for front-end operations and back-end operations.
While dealing with the front end operations RPA will require an understanding of the natural language. Backend operations require dealing only with structured and unstructured data. Dealing with structured data means working with a database and dealing with unstructured data includes working with documents and images.
General functions of RPA include:
- Opening different applications like emails, moving files, etc.
- Integration with the existing tools.
- Collecting data from different web portals.
- Processing data which includes calculations, data extraction, etc.
Points to consider while selecting the tool:
- Platform independence
- Maintenance and support services by a company
- Tool Smartness: It should act as an end-user.
Widely used Robotic Process Automation RPA Tools
Given below is a list and comparison of the most popular RPA tools.
Comparison Of Top RPA Tools
Given below is an exclusive comparison of the best Robotic Process Automation Tools.
|30 days free trial||Smart process tracking, Drag & Drop cognitive automation|
|–||–||Collaboration tool provides Bot cloning|
|30 days of free trial||–||Drag and Drop technology and Cognitive features|
|Provides a community edition/ free edition||–|
|30 days of free trial|
|–||Provides cloud deployment, and a visual designer to create bots|
|Jacada||–||–||Desktop automation with high accuracy|
|Provides free trial||–||Unified Design Environment, and provides built-in analytics|
|Provides free trial||–|
|30 days of free trial||–||–|
|30 days of free trial||–||Visual designer studio|
|30 days of free trial||–||–|
|Studio License (Annual): $2000 – $3,000||Drag and Drop functionality, Easy to use visual designer|
Well, as you can see above that each tool has its own positive and negative factors. But, if you talk about the market leaders, it is the famous trio i.e. Blue Prism, UiPath & Automation Anywhere. Refer to the following table for the differences between these tools.
RPA Tools Comparison: UiPath vs Blue Prism vs Automation Anywhere
|UiPath||Blue Prism||Automation Anywhere|
|Has Community Edition / Free Edition||Has recently launched a free edition.||Recently launched a Community Edition|
|Most Popular Tool||Popular than Automation Anywhere||Less Popular than others|
|No programming knowledge required||It provides functionality that allows the user to write code, but users can manage without it.||No programming knowledge required|
|Has free online training and certification programs||Provides official certification program||Recently launched a certification of 50$.|
|Provides desktop, web and Citrix automation||Designed for Citrix automation for BPO.||Reasonable across all mediums.|
So, now that I have explained the differences between the top tools, you can consider the following checklist to select the right tool for you.